Travelling with young children can be a daunting task, especially if you are going on a long trip, not to mention all of the waiting around for flights which can make the whole experience fraught. This is why it is important to plan ahead, because happy children mean a better experience.
With this in mind My Voucher Codes have compiled a handy list of tips and advice for travelling with children to ensure that your holiday plans go without a hitch. Whether travelling in the UK or abroad, you’ll be happy you saw these great tips.
- Plan your holiday together as a family, this will ensure that your children have a say in what they want to see and do too.
- If it’s your first family holiday with very small children, try to stay closer to home or choose a shorter flight if going abroad.
- Plan out your days by creating a list of things you want to see, how to get there, and what there is to do once you get there.
- Always check what you children are packing so nothing is left behind.
- Pack your children’s favourite toys, books and games.
- Take chargers and plug adapters for electricals such mobile phones, tablets and hair dryers.
- Why not get your older children to keep a travel journal to document the trip.
- Try to book train and plane tickets so that you travel at night when your children would be sleeping.
- Book your plane seats in advance so that are all sitting together.
- Book table seats when travelling by train so you have more room.
- Make sure you have headphones for electrical devices such as mobile phones and tablets.
- If you are driving, make sure you make plenty of stops.
- You can even plan interesting stop offs on long car journeys to break up the journey.
- Pack plenty of water and refreshments in your car.
- Look for hotels in central locations close to local amenities.
- Check online reviews before booking to ensure it suits you and your child’s needs.
- Check out apartments or suites if you feel you need more space.
- Book family friendly resorts which cater for both children and adults.
- Look for hotels and resorts that offer kids clubs.
Food & Drink
- Encourage your children to try new foods and teach them about the local cuisine.
- Fill up on free breakfasts if included with your accommodation.
- If available, take extra food for snacks or ask the hotel if they provide picnics.
- By refreshments from local supermarkets as it will be a lot cheaper than the hotel.
- For those who are in self-catering accommodation, have a big breakfast there and make your own picnic for lunch.
Keeping costs down
- Stick to your budget and always put some money aside in case of emergencies.
- Have your children keep to a budget for souvenirs and treats too.
- Check the local area for free days at museums and other tourist sites.
- Use public transport as it will be cheaper than taxis.
- If you need to use a taxi try apps such as Uber or Lyft for cheaper prices.
- Use sightseeing buses as these will take you to all the tourist hotspots.
Other handy advice
- When traveling with children, always allow more time.
- Pack a mini medical kit.
- Invest in a child tracking device or add location apps to your children’s phone just in case you get separated.
- Take spare clothes on days out.
- Make sure you’ve got medications and details if you need to get more whilst away.
Speaking about their top tips for traveling with children this summer, General Manager of My Voucher Codes, Chris Reilly, said:
“Holidays are a time for relaxing and recharging, even if you have children, it can be easily achieved by careful planning. We hope our top tips will help parents make sure they are ready for their holiday and that they have everything they need to make it memorable for the whole family.”
For even more tips on how to travel with children check out this article.